A common occurrence in urban and suburban areas alike, many species of birds are enjoyed by spectators going about their daily routine. Birds can add a lot of enjoyment to the outdoor experience, but sometimes they cause trouble. Birds like gulls, pigeons, and woodpeckers have reputations for being a nuisance, due to their behavior patterns. If birds are getting a little too comfortable on your property and causing a ruckus in an otherwise peaceful outdoor experience, call Wildlife X Team® at (855) WILDLIFE to learn more about Wildlife X Team®'s bird population and how to address each issue properly.
Frequent Bird Complaints
Birds like seagulls are known for swooping down into dumpsters and eating leftover food, and even sometimes stealing food from people as they are eating it. Some other common complaints regarding birds involve:
- Loud noises/squawking
- Erratic behavior
- Frequent defecation, often accumulating on rooftops
Are Birds Really a Nuisance or Danger?
Birds are an important part of the natural environment, but when they are too close for comfort, please do not approach them. Different bird types can be carriers of fatal diseases. There are some things untrained homeowners can do to discourage birds from coming near, but birds are best left alone until the professionals are involved who know how to properly handle them. Call Wildlife X Team® at (855) WILDLIFE today and get rid of birds!
More About Birds
Birds generally considered “nuisance birds” include pigeons, house sparrows, starlings, and many other birds. The presence of nuisance birds in unwanted areas can cause damage to your home or business, and their droppings may create unpleasant odors & sight. Bird droppings can also ruin vegetation, painted surfaces, ledges, gutters, and awnings, and cause electrical equipment to malfunction. Birds may carry diseases which are capable of infecting humans. Nuisance birds can damage rigid foam insulation, and their nests can become fire hazards. The first step in your nuisance bird control program should be identification of the bird. The Migratory Bird Treaty and Endangered Species Acts prohibit trapping or killing of most nuisance birds, eggs or nests without a permit. House sparrows, starlings, and pigeons are not protected under these Acts. Nuisance birds gain entry through construction gaps, chimneys, eaves, exhaust vents, and roof vents.
Birds are tough creatures, they can endure a lot of hardship and have some surprising abilities:
- Ostriches stick their heads in the sand to look for a water source.
- Only male turkeys gobble, females make a clicking noise.
- Some birds will peck to death members of the flock that are physically inferior or different.
- Unlike humans, birds can regenerate their brain cells.
- Approximately 1000 birds a year die from smashing into windows.
- A hummingbird’s heart beats 75,600 times per hour.
- Flamingos lay their eggs on top of volcano-shaped nests made of mud or dirt.
- Penguins can jump as high as 5-6 feet in the air.
- California condors can fly 10 plus miles without flapping their wings one time.
- The ostrich egg yolk is the largest single cell in the world.
- An eagle can kill a young deer or bobcat and fly away with it.
- Birds have feathers, wings, lay eggs and are warm-blooded.
- There are approximately 10,000 different species of birds worldwide.
- Nuisance birds have hollow bones which help them fly.
- Some nuisance bird species are intelligent enough to create and use tools.
- The chicken is the most common species of nuisance bird found in the world.
- Hummingbirds can fly backward in any situations.
- The Bee Hummingbird is the smallest living bird in the world.
- Approximately 20% of the bird species migrate long distances every year.
- Homing pigeons are bred to find their way home from long distances.
- Pigeons have been used for thousands of years to carry messages.
Some Diseases Directly Transmitted by Birds
- St Louis Encephalitis
- E. Coli
- Bird-Bite Fever
- Nuisance birds cause tens of millions of dollars of damage every year in America to machinery, automobiles, roofs, architectural design of a building, ventilation systems and much more. Bird droppings and nesting material pose a host of physical issues which can become very serious if they are not corrected immediately. Birds and their droppings can spread more than 60 diseases to humans. Bird droppings and urine are very acidic in nature. They actually eat away at many building and structural material. Droppings which are allowed to accumulate on roofs or buildings will eat into the material and eventually cause leaks or other damage. The accumulation of pigeon droppings has caused roofs and canopies to collapse. Pigeon, starling and sparrow nests are often built in rain gutters, drains, and corners of roofs where drains are located and this can cost a property owner thousands to repair if it isn’t handled quickly.
- Nesting material is usually very flammable due to the straw, twigs and dried droppings. When birds build their nests inside electric signs there is a great risk of fire. Sign companies blame nuisance birds for most of their sign fires.
- Bird nests built in chimneys and air conditioning systems can not only spread diseases through the system, but can actually block air-flow which can be deadly. This can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and is very serious.
- Nuisance bird droppings will fade paint finishes by actually eating into the protective coating and the paint itself. The longer the droppings sit on the paint, the more damage it will cause.
- Nuisance birds flying around the insides of stores, warehouses, airplane hangars, factories, and convention centers can wreak havoc. Bird droppings can destroy a number of different manufactured products. They will ruin new and old paint jobs on aircraft, and they can contaminate food products which are being made or packaged. This type of damage often cause millions of dollars in waste.
- Droppings on or around a building send a message to the public that this building is not properly maintained and is dirty. One is forced to wonder how clean a restaurant’s kitchen or store could be if they don’t even care about bird droppings dripping down the building or signage.
- Birds eat and contaminate food and animal feed. They also damage containers and packaging materials in which foods and feed are stored.
- Birds are also a major problem for health reasons. They will defecate and urinate all over the attic & in walls. This introduces parasites, bacteria and other nasty microscopic creatures to the interior environment of your business or home.